Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wednesday Secrets: Nov 21, 2007

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an amazing sociological experiment. The post cards were uploaded late this week, and I was eagerly anticipating them today. Here are the new secrets that resonate with me:

This fit me to a 'T' when I was in my 20s! Well ... maybe not "more powerful" than God, but I sure did like to tempt the boys with my flirtations. I particularly liked to go after the guys that wore their religion on their sleeves or the ones in the seminary. They were nice guys with good morals. But oh, so human! They usually had very little experience with girls, so I could teach them a thing or two about what they'd be missing if they kept on their current path.

My husband was seriously thinking of becoming a priest when we met.
We've now been married for over 16 years.


One of my hot buttons is folks that think it's their duty to tell me that I'm going to hell because I don't believe the way they do. Those kinds of comments usually get me hopping mad. This week I was given TWO examples of other ways to handle the situation.

My daughter was told this very thing by a kid in her English class. Her disarming response?
"Gee. Thanks so much for sharing that with me."
Then she went on her merry way.

My former college professor says he just busts out laughing when he's damned.
He says that it's usually enough to make the judgmental person so flustered they don't know what to say next.

I need to try one of those approaches. It's no fun getting all riled up by close-minded folks that are sure they have ALL the answers and the ULTIMATE TRUTH in their pocket.



ROFL. This isn't so far from the truth!

Actually, sharing some DVDs and shows we enjoy with one another and laughing together is just a whole lot less stressful than making small talk or listening to the gossip of extended family. I need less stress this holiday. Plus, I get to prepare a menu that fits with our weight loss program.

Besides, we're planning on singing Karaoke on Thanksgiving ... and our extended family would be too self-conscious to get in on that fun. We don't mind making fools of ourselves.

No comments: