Monday, July 7, 2008

Why Give?


Perhaps the greatest impact and imprint is left with the giver rather than the receiver.

Do you remember the best gift you ever gave someone? What made it so good?

One of the best gifts I ever gave was in my junior year in high school. I made a pillow for a friend of mine. I'd just embroidered her name on some craft felt and placed in a heart shape. I turned the embroidery into a pillow.

The fun part of the gift was in how she found it. We sat beside each other in concert choir. I got to the classroom early, and left the pillow (unwrapped) on her chair. Then I hid out in one of the practice rooms just to the side of the choir stand. I could stand in the dark, look through the window, and watch what was going on in the main room.

My friend came in and went to sit in her accustomed seat. She saw that pillow there and got all excited. "Is this for me? Where'd it come from? Who gave this to me? Who made this?" She was asking everyone in sight, but no one knew.

It was great fun to stand on the sidelines and see her enjoy her surprise.

Just before class began, I went to my seat and let her know I was the giver.

She got excited all over again.

The fun of that gift was in the giving. I don't know if Pam remembers that day, but I sure do. She gave a better reaction than anything I could have hoped for. That kind of gift giving is now the standard I go by. I hope for that kind of reaction when I put my heart into a gift I give. If/when I get it, I absolutely glow inside.

It's great to be able to make someone's day.

No comments: