Thursday, March 1, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1996 (Part 2)

Here are cross-stitch projects I completed in April and May 1996.


A Baby's Lock of Hair
In April, I finished this baby sampler for my youngest daughter Jodie (Joanne). Actually, I stitched it to keep myself.


This is the poem:

Nothing more precious to keep 
In tones of a hue so deep 
As soft as a silent prayer 
A lock of my baby's hair 
I catch it before it lands 
And save each shiny strand 
Remembrance of one more step 
Of my baby's growing up 
Within this poem it will be 
And placed for all to see

The design leaves a space at the top to sew in the baby's lock of hair.



And it leaves a place at the bottom for name and birth date.



It was from this piece that I learned it's best not to stitch words in red or pink. Those colors are difficult to read. 


Violets are Blue

This is a bookmark that I made for another online AOL friend. I adapted a pattern to fit this small fabric and added the words. I don't think this is a very successful piece. The black background doesn't work with this dainty design. The lace I chose for the edge is too wide (though I did a good job mitering the corners!), so the proportions on the bookmark are all wrong. I suppose all that can be overlooked when you consider I went out my way to make something special for a sick friend.




Snow Forest

This is one of Just Nan's freebie squares. It's the first time I attempted a "specialty stitch," a square Eyelet. This is another piece I don't find particularly successful. I used a gold thread another online friend gave me, and it just doesn't "pop" as it should to make it look like garlands on the trees. I do like the white and gold beads. Very pretty.



Years after finishing the stitching, I made this into a Christmas tree ornament.


No comments: