Saturday, March 31, 2018

Marbled Easter Eggs

My daughter pointed me to a post on Pinterest on how to dye Easter eggs using food coloring and Cool Whip. Challenged accepted!


I boiled the eggs, cooled them and set them aside in a bowl of white vinegar. Unfortunately, life happened and I didn't get around to finishing the process that day. So the eggs soaked overnight in the vinegar. Bad move. The shells completely softened and started disintegrating by the time I got back to them the next day. Ah, well. I continued with the experiment.


I got out a platter and spread about an inch of cool whip in the bottom. I added a few drops of food coloring and swirled them around a little.


Then I carefully rolled the eggs around in the colored Cool Whip until they were entirely covered. I set them in a bowl and refrigerated them for about an hour.


When I took the eggs out, I rinsed them in cool water and carefully wiped the remaining Cool Whip from them with a paper towel.


They actually came out much better than I anticipated! I'm pleasantly surprised at how pretty they look in my glass Easter basket.

I may try this dying method again next year. But I won't make the mistake of soaking the eggs overnight. I will swirl the eggs into fewer colors of dye on each egg.

It's not likely we'll actually eat these eggs since they're undoubtedly pickled. Not my style.

---

Inspired by Crafty Morning





No comments: