Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Artist's Way

I'm still in the midst of this course and loving every minute of it.

I was happy to see this quotation by the author of The Artist's Way on Instagram this morning. It's exactly how I feel.

I'm always amazed at the artists who work in the midst of chaos. Have you ever seen the tables and floor of Project Runway at the end of a workday? Total pigsty! One of my most prolific artist/quilter friends works this way, too, with piles of fabrics and trims surrounding her. It's her source of inspiration.

I'm the opposite. Such piles make me itchy. I need to have clear spaces in which to create. I'm freer to make new and fun and beautiful objects if my home is tidy and my workspace is clean.

There is often discussion about this topic in artist groups I frequent, and I tend to be in the minority. People say that if they waited until their workshop and home are clean, they'd never get around to creating art. My thought is that, as an adult, I get to choose how I live. I'd rather live daily with order in my life. It helps keep my mental health healthy!

It's nice to know this mentor feels and works the same way I do. I'm not a Lone Ranger in my Studio ... because there is room for more than one person there!

No comments: