Monday, November 26, 2018

Twisted Taxidermy

Some may say that the idea of one of Santa's reindeer ending up as taxidermy on our wall is, well, quite a twisted idea. So, call me twisted. I think it's funny!


I set about this project by purchasing a reindeer ornament at the Dollar Tree. The size of this 5-point rack, plus head, is just under six inches.

I bought a brassy-gold frame at a thrift shop for a dollar. The frame has a nice bit of weight and came with glass and backboard. The frame normally holds a 3.5" x 5" photo. The outside dimensions form an approximately 5" x 6" oval.

Using a brilliant silver spray paint, I turned the brassy-gold into bright silver.


Next I turned to the backboard. I used some spray adhesive on the black velvet board, then covered it with plaid, centering it as well as possible so that the plaid doesn't look wonky behind the deer. Then I trimmed the fabric close to the edge of the backboard with pinking shears to help keep the fabric from raveling.


I cleaned the glass, then put the frame back together, securing the backboard into the frame.


The ornament had a couple issues. First, it had quite a bit of glitter fallout. So I sprayed it with hairspray and let it dry. This keeps more of the glitter on the ornament than on my work surface.


The second issue is that there were some bald spots on the deer's jowl. So I used some metallic silver glitter acrylic paint to cover up those spots. Thus proving the paradox that a Christmas ornament can have both too much glitter and not enough glitter at the time time.


The final step was to use hot glue to adhere the base of the ornament to the glass.


I think I'm going to hang this over the "No Soliciting" sign by the front door. Maybe it will act as a deterrent!


No comments: