Thursday, November 1, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 2001 (Part 13)

Here are four more projects from 2001.


Christmas Foundation Pieced Banner

As you may had discerned by now, I'm quite a goal-oriented gal. One of my year 2001 goals was to learn to do some foundation piecing for quilting. I had a book devoted to it, and had seen the technique done over and over on TV. It looked easy enough for me to try without benefit of a class. (That was before YouTube, I guess).

The colors in this piece are sort of odd because I did a true scrap quilt — using the fabrics and embellishments I had on hand. That's what our foremothers did too, right? I pulled some stash fabrics, cut 'em up in little pieces, and made four Christmas Tree blocks.

Two of the blocks have a single triangle for the tree, the other two blocks have a tree made out of strips. My favorite is the one made of plaids and small flowers. I combined the blocks with green sashing, then turned them into a small banner.

My (then) 8 year old daughter helped me decorate the trees with beads, buttons, baubles, sequins, metallic fibers, etc. I then quilted the border with stars, holly leaves, Christmas trees and a swirling line of my own design. I've not done much hand quilting, and it shows.

This is a large image of the completed banner. Click on it to see the detail of my piecing, embellishment and quilting (or right click your mouse and open the image in a new tab). The banner measures approximately 9" x 12.5"

Click for detailed image



Fur and Feathers by Bent Creek

I stitched this as a surprise for my daughter Jeanne's 17th birthday.  I just love the expression on the face of this silly cat. It looks like it's saying, "Hey! I got a bird on my back!"

My daughter will be twice that age this month! She still hangs this nutty piece in her home.




 Scottie Dog Bookmark

I continued to stitch bookmarks for my "quiltie ladies" in December. I made this one for Terry who loves dogs! I like how the Scotties are dressed up for Christmas




Snowflake Gift Tag

This snowflake was a freebie ornament pattern by Treetrunk Designs. It's stitched with DMC gold metallic (about the weight of #5 perle cotton). That fiber was a bit too thick for the 18 count gray aida I used.

I gave this to my my EGA gift exchange partner Su, along with a gift. 




Next week I'll share my last 2001 project, and it's a doozy. It's a class piece that I made with my embroiderer's guild and has lots of stitched components. 

No comments: