Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Secrets: Jan 27, 2008

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an amazing sociological experiment. Only one of today's secrets resonated with me:


Oh, this poor pathetic woman! That was me in my teens and 20s, for sure!

As a teenager, I wrote a series of anonymous notes to a boyfriend that had dumped me in favor of a ski bunny he'd met on the slopes ... and later in favor of my older sister. Each time I'd send a note, he'd bring it into work and share it around and try to figure out who his secret admirer was. Years and years later, I told him it was me. He had a hard time believing it. I felt SO pathetic!

In my 20s, I worked for a literary magazine. I know the reactions such love poems might have on an editor. Derisive comments, for sure ... then a quick trip to the trash can.

No comments: