Saturday, August 16, 2008

Landscape Feature

My trip to Connecticut ends tomorrow. One of the features I've really come to love, besides the lush greenery and forests, is this ...

Stone Wall

These stone walls are so pretty, and line most of the properties in the neighborhood where my friend lives. I really enjoyed strolling beside them on my afternoon walks.

I'm told the main reason they are there is because the darn ground is just so rocky, home owners pile the rocks up along the property lines to get them out of the way of other features they want in their yards ... like vegetable and flower gardens. Or ponds.

Some of the stone walls are very straight and sealed and tidy. They look sharp and architectural. Others are very low-to-the-ground and piled haphazardly. The type of wall in the photo above is my favorite kind. Some place in between a pile of rocks and a buttoned-up proper wall.

It looks deliberate, but not too fussy. Aged. Sturdy. It's got plants growing in the gaps. You just know that field mice or chipmunks and spiders have a home there. It marks a boundary without creating too much of a barrier.

No comments: