Saturday, March 30, 2019

Now that most of the ice field that filled our back yard is melted, and the temperatures get above 50 degrees most days, I figured the Spring runoff from the mountains is likely filling Lake Coeur d'Alene and flowing down the Spokane River. It's time for my annual trip to the Post Falls dam to experience the full roar of our Falls.

I was surprised that the park was so quiet. A man, his dog, some noisy waterfowl, and me.

So far, the eight small gates at the dam are open. They cause quite a roar, but not as ferocious as when the main gate is open. I'll return then to feel the full force of the river as it careens into the narrow gorge below the falls.


I was able to take a lot of time at the Falls with my camera. She and I are getting reacquainted. I played with light settings to capture both the green river water and the fog in the background that curls around the hills surrounding Lake Coeur d'Alene. I played with the shutter speed settings to see if I could get the falling water to blur a little, then a lot. Forty five shots later, this is the photo that best captures my chilly morning with Mother Nature.

Little Miss Photo Mojo is peeking around the corner. I hope she'll soon hold my hand tightly again.

Even photographers can get a case of writer's block. Let's say ... the dam is starting to burst.


No comments: