Friday, July 5, 2019

Bucket List

When I was on retreat a week ago, one of the activities my tribe took part in was a two hour cruise on the Columbia River in the Gorge. My parents took a cruise similar to this about 25 years ago. Ever since Mom told me about it, I've wanted to take such a cruise, too. It's one of my Bucket List items.

This part of the Gorge is famous for its winds, making for world-class wind surfing, sailboarding, and sailing. The day of our cruise, a sailboat race was taking place on the river along the coast at the town of Hood River.



Even though the cruise was full with about 300 participants, I found a few quiet minutes by myself, watching the reflections of the sun dance on the water. These kinds of reflections always pull memories of my mom to the surface. After she died in 1997, it was light reflecting on water that reminded me of her most vividly.



After going upriver past Hood River, we turned around and headed downriver, cruising under The Bridge of the Gods. The entire cruise - and retreat - allowed me to rest my spirit in a serene spot. That was fairly evident on my face.



I took a walk alone to the stern of the ship and watched the paddlewheel do its work. I was pondering what I'd learned earlier in the day, and thinking about how nice it would be if I were taking this cruise with my mom. There are times like these, as our family is grieving the loss of a brother, that I really miss her.

While my heart swelled with love for her, I was rewarded with this rainbow.




No comments: