Thursday, July 4, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2005 Part 4

I hope all my United States readers are having a lovely Independence Day!

Here are the other four projects I completed in March 2005. Jump in the Wayback Machine with me, and we'll take a look:


Giraffe by nmi

This is the third giraffe I stitched in the Year of the Giraffe. It's from a kit by nmi. The original design had this giraffe and the words "A father is someone you look up to -- no matter how tall you grow..."

I decided to leave the words off my stitchery. I just like his crazy grin and wanted to highlight the giraffe.

Though this was simple cross-stitch on 14ct white aida, there were two aspects of this project that were new to me.



Because this stitchery is an oddball size, I made the frame for this piece myself, using a precision miter box, some special clamps, and wood glue. It was a production, but a skill I'm glad I learned. I won't bother going into all the details here.

I spray-painted the frame gold, and I used black grosgrain ribbon for the "mat." This way I continued the black-and-gold finishing that I attempted to use on all the giraffe pieces in my gallery.


Busy Bee Giraffe

Here's another quick stitch kit — and my 4th giraffe of the year.

This little guy is part of a series of animal mini banners by NeedleMagic, each with a little bee buzzing around its head. I only plan on stitching this one.

I'm not sure what kind of fiber this kit contained. It's a single strand of floss, but I don't think it's cotton. It had a slight stretch to it and was about the weight of perle cotton #8. It was very easy to stitch with.

The finishing directions in the kit had you simply trim the edges and pull out two lines of aida to make the fringe. I decided to stitch a nun's stitch around three edges of the banner and fringe up to it.

I sewed the top flap around the black hanger with a running stitch using thread that matched the ground cloth. Then I added the gold bow so this piece will blend in with my other finished giraffes.



Easter Card

I wanted to make a special card for my mother-in-law and her husband. They'd been going through some tough times that Spring, so they weren't up to hosting the traditional family Easter gathering. I  wanted them to know they'd been on my mind.

The chart is a freebie from Ellen Maurer-Stroh's website. I just love her designs! The card was all my own idea. The little butterfly is a sticker.




Jump Ring Bracelet

Once I began my foray into the world of off-loom beading and simple jewelry making, I became exposed to all kinds of wonderful beading sites. And as with many hobby sites, lots of free patterns.

I found a very interesting pattern on the Bead & Button magazine website for a Tryzantine chain bracelet made primarily of silver jump rings. The photograph was gorgeous and pulled me in. I just had to give it a try.

Now, being so new to this, I didn't want to go to the expense of the real silver rings. Instead, I purchased some standard 6mm metal jump rings in a package from my local craft store. Then I sat down to the task of learning to make a chain.

I attempted the pattern as written three times. But I kept getting tripped up on Step 7. Even with the excellent close-up photography and the stated directions, I just couldn't understand how to do this step. I finally gave up trying to make the bracelet exactly as stated.

Instead, I used the pattern as a jumping off point to make my own version of this bracelet. What I came up with was much simpler, but still was not too plain. The finished piece is aesthetically pleasing to me.

The bracelet feels good on the wrist and has a very nice way of rolling up and down my arm. I like the way the large links catch the light. It's encouraging to continue to learn new techniques and not be afraid to try something on my own when the original pattern proved to be too difficult for my neophyte experience.



It's interesting that this type of chain mail jewelry making has become a favorite of my daughter Jeanne. She's made some beautiful items, including some with colored chains and beads!

No comments: