Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Flash Craft: Puff Ball Flowers

My alternate title for this painting is ... Ehh

Today I attempted another Flash Craft: a project that caught my attention one day, then I pressed myself to execute it within a week or so. My idea is to do rather than simply dream and plan.

I tend to roll things around in my head for weeks or months or years before I try them. For 2022, I've challenged myself to jump in head first.

So ... here's my finished painting:


And here's the video I found on YouTube that inspired me:



What did I learn?

  • There are at least two sizes of bubble wrap. This would have worked better with the smaller size bubbles.

  • The acrylic paint should have a consistent viscosity between colors. The thicker paints worked better for this project.

  • I chose primarily mid-tone blues and grey and silver and purple and gold because I thought those colors would match my home decor. The navy blue didn't work at all. The original used bright colors which "popped" on the black background. Then the black shadows and white highlights worked. Mine might work better with pastel highlights and brown-black (rather than pure black) shadows. 

  • I painted this following a video that was all visual with no verbal or written instructions. So there weren't any tips gleaned from the artist. I'll keep that in mind the next time I attempt a simple painting. I learn better with more kinds of input.

  • I finished my painting before adding the splatter paint, dots, and stars like the original. I'll look at this painting for a while and determine if I want to add more. I doubt it.

  • This painting looks far better from a distance and in this photograph than it does in person. I'm not upset at all. It is what it is - a very decent learning experience.

I'm OK with all of this. Flash Crafts are about exploring and trying new ideas. They're not all going to stick as an artform I'll try again.

So ... TA-DA! 

"Hey! Look at my painting!"

No comments: