Wednesday, December 21, 2022

2022 Family Christmas Ornaments

Jeanne came by last Sunday for another Crafternoon to make this year's family Christmas ornaments. I've long had a tradition of making Christmas ornaments for every member of the family.

Last year, I had an idea without a clear plan of execution. I gathered all the pieces, but wasn't sure how to put them together. Jeanne is an excellent problem-solver. Together, we noodled out how to construct these acorn ornaments. 


Being a carpenter, Jeanne is very comfortable with power tools, so was in charge of drilling the tiny holes in the acorn caps. I was in charge of threading ribbon through the bells with a needle, knotting the slippery thread, then threading the needle through the acorn cap. 

I adhered the bells and marbles into the acorn caps with hot glue. Jeanne was in charge of attaching the jump rings to connect the three ribbons.


Each ornament has two bells and one clear marble in the acorn caps. The white ribbons are three different lengths so that the acorns hang in a pleasing way. The jump ring connects through the loops of the white ribbons. The red bow is tied in place under the jump ring, then held snug to it with a drop of hot glue.


I've packaged the ornaments in these gossamer bags. That's a nice touch.


If you're wondering, the beaded ornaments we made a few weeks back are for my own tree. I'm getting quite a nice collection of blue/pearl/clear 'crystal' beaded ornaments now. I love making ornaments. Over the years, I've made so many that I now have enough for three trees!

This year our tree is full of the family ornaments. Unwrapping them from their tissue paper parcels and hanging them on the Christmas tree is like opening treasured gifts. They bring back wonderful memories.

No comments: