Friday, April 7, 2023

First Flowers For You - Part 4

After putting my bunny cross-stitch aside for over a week, I made the decision to fix the color problem. I didn't want to spend more time stitching if I wasn't going to be pleased with the outcome. I took several hours to carefully and painstakingly rip out all the grey/brown stitching. I might have simply started over, but I didn't have any more of this lovely fabric that I'd been saving for just the right project.


After consulting some floss color charts, I put six shades of grey floss side by side so that I could find some substitute colors. This photo shows the floss I previously used and the new grey shades I picked. I find it curious that the "old" floss looks quite grey here, but looks so brown when I stitched it.


Next I checked the "new" colors against the photo on the chart. They look more similar.


Finally I did a "floss toss" to see how these two greys look against the fabric and the other main colors they'll butt up against. Looks good to me.


I've started re-stitching the grey here. Much better.


Here's the before and after. I didn't get the lighting in these two photos exactly the same, but it's close enough to see the difference. The earlier version looks so much more brown. I like the new softer color combination much much better.


I'm glad I took the time and energy to make the change.


No comments: