Saturday, January 5, 2008

Self Aware

Being an "at-home mom," I sometimes get in a funk that my life is so small that I don't have a lot to offer the world.

Today, I heard from an old friend. We went through grade school together as friends, we were in Girl Scouts together, then went to different high schools, had separate lives. But when she heard my brother died (almost 9 years ago), she showed up at the funeral with sincere empathy and a bouquet of flowers. We've been exchanging Christmas cards and an occasional letter or e-mail ever since.

As I spelled out my 2007 life story to her in my e-mail reply, I realized that maybe even in my small life in Northern Idaho, I do have a thing or two to share. Living a small life, I am very in touch with myself. I need only believe that I have something good with which to touch others.

No comments: