Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day 590: A Corner of My Home

I added this new photograph
to Creative Journey
in my Photography section,
Charlie's Shadow

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, looking toward our dining room, early morning sun streaming through the eastern-facing windows.

They cast this frilly shadow on the wall from my old friend, Creeping Charlie. Charlie has been with me for, oh, about 25 years!

My brother David had the original plant. He gave my mom a cutting which made the trip from southern California to northern Idaho. I was given a cutting off Mom's plant when I was still in college. Mom was notorious for killing plants, so to get a cutting before hers died out was a feat in itself. Charlie was the first plant that would grow for me.

Charlie made it through my difficult first marriage, my years alone as a single mother of two, and through all the happy years of my current marriage. He doesn't grow a lot, and almost died the year we painted the living room and he had to move into a too-dark bedroom. But he's a resilient guy and got strong again once he was given his rightful place to hang once more.

So when I saw how pretty ... er ... handsome he looked yesterday morning, full and strong and casting that wonderful shadow, I thought it was time to take his picture and give him front-page blog glory.

No comments: