Thursday, August 1, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2005 Part 8

This week the wayback machine takes us to October 2005 when I finished up some crafts.


Magnolia Rug



This is a latch-hook rug which I made for my mother-in-law. I made a similar rug for myself a few years ago. When my mother-in-law saw it, she really liked it. So I pulled out my catalog and let her choose which rug she'd like me to make for her home. This is the pattern she picked.

The rug is sold as a kit from Mary Maxim. It is a shaped rug ... the finished rug being the shape of the blossom. But my mother-in-law wanted a rectangular rug instead, so I calculated how much extra yarn I would need and ordered enough to fill in the background. The finished size is approximately 2 ft by 3 ft.

I started this project in December 2002. I completed about 10% of it then. But then it sat on my shelf, staring at me and daring me to get to it! In October, 2005 I pulled it from it's home and started working on it again. Once I put some concentrated effort into it, I was done in just over a week!

I bound the edges with rug tape and secured them to the back of the rug, then added a label that says "Specially Fashioned by Margaret Davaz." It is still displayed in my mother-in-law's guest bedroom.


Dragonboat Ornament



My EGA chapter held a special interest class to learn to make this ornament created by Bernice Allison.

This is a fairly simple project in which you:
  • diagram the pattern onto a piece of cardboard
  • cut the shape
  • score some lines
  • insert a hanging loop
  • fold and tape the cardboard into this 6-sided shape
  • insert pins in each point
  • wrap the shape with thread
The original directions call for changing the thread to vary the colors of the ornament. I chose to use a single thread instead of gold crochet cotton that has a twist of gold metallic running through it. The pearl pin head and the metallic thread give this ornament a lot of glow and sparkle.

This was a quick project. It only took an hour or two from start to finish. It reminds me a lot of the God's Eyes that my daughters learned to make in elementary school.

I found a video tutorial on YouTube if you want to try some yourself:


No comments: