Thursday, August 8, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2005 Part 9

This week the wayback machine takes us to November 2005. I did a little bit of designing, a little bit of cross-stitch, and a whole lot of knitting.


Joy Ornament

In 2000, I stitched a very cute ornament on perforated paper called the Noel Ornament. I enjoyed it so much, that I adapted the pattern to create several more charts with a similar design. This is my own version of "Joy"!

This is an example of Assisi work, also known as Voided Work. The background is stitched, leaving the unstitched fabric with the design.

This ornament was stitched on white perforated plastic with #8 perle coton. I then backed it with royal blue felt which I stitched on with some silver DMC metallic "barbed wire on a spool." The banner's "pole" is a toothpick, stitched into place with the top row of Xs. The finials are blue beads. The hanging cord is made from eight plies of the same perle coton. The finished size is 1-1/2 x 3-1/8 inches.

This particular ornament was stitched as part of an ornament exchange.


 



Ribbon Yarn Scarf

This scarf is stitched entirely in a regular knit stitch. It's much like the other scarves I've made (see below). The only real difference is the yarn I chose to use.

I was having one of those "funk" days, so ended up wondering around Walmart. In their craft section, I came across this unusual fiber in the yarn section. It is Lion Brand Yarn's "Incredible," a ribbon yarn for knitting and crocheting. I'd never seen such a fiber before, so picked up a couple balls. I just love the blue variegated colors.

It took me a while to figure out what to make with it. I finally decided on a fashion scarf for my daughter's birthday. It was a bit tricky to work with because it is 100% nylon and very slippery. It also twisted easily while knitting. I finally came up with a system that worked for me. I'd unwind enough for a row, then put a rubber band around the ball. Knit the row. Then hold the ball up and let it unwind itself before repeating the process for the next row.

The ribbon yarn does not ravel, so I was able to give it some simple fringe. Unfortunately, this ribbon yarn is no longer offered on the Lion Brand website.

I made the scarf for my oldest daughter, Jeanne. She told me last week that she still has it!





Chenille Yarn Scarves

Later that month I had the urge to knit up more winter scarves. These were originally intended for a client, but she backed out of the deal, so I used them as gifts instead. 



The chenille scarves really are luscious! One in midnight black, the other in a wonderful burgundy. They are knit from Lion Brand "Thick & Quick" Chenille yarn. Each scarf takes about 1-1/2 skeins. This yarn does not ravel, so the fringe could be cut without fraying. Unfortunately, this yarn is no longer available on the Lion Brand website.




The next Throwback Thursday post will feature some crocheted hats and a couple more ornaments from December 2005.

No comments: