Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Needlework Book Cover

I finished another of my 19 in 2019 goals last weekend! I did the finishing work on one of six needlework pieces from years gone by. I decided to make another journal cover.

This is for my "Many Small Dreams" journal. It's a place where I can write down and flesh out my daydreams. Many people have one passion, one dream they want to fulfill, whether it be a dream job,  owning a business, travel, adventure, writing a book, etc. I've never had that kind of passion for one single thing. I have many small dreams instead. In this journal, I'll let my imagination run wild and write details that can help these dreams come true.



The needlework piece I used is a stitch sampler that I made in 2001. I have no photographs of it in my archives. I can't recall the name of the piece. I happened across it in my box of completed stitchery. It has a 2001 date on it. 



I vaguely remember starting this when I was part of the Embroiderer's Guild, because we were learning new stitches. The design has various stitches repeated four times, and combining tints and shades of the four colors used.



Most guild members made this on canvas. But I don't enjoy stitching on canvas, so I used linen instead. I learned that wasn't the best choice for this design. These stitches needed a firmer base. I stitched it, but did not enjoy the process. This is one project where it took a lot of dedication to get to the end.

Apparently when I got there, I didn't even celebrate it with a post!


The construction of the book cover was a lesson in problem-solving ... one problem after another. Thank goodness my daughter Jeanne was visiting. I used her brain power to help me come up with the solutions. (Love that young woman!)

I thought I'd continue my Whittle a Little when turning this needlework into a book cover by using fabric that I re-purposed from a thrift store skirt which I bought five years ago. That was not a good idea. 

It was cheap fabric that got all stretched out and wonky as I used it -- even though I'd interfaced the two layers to give the fabric some stability. I ended up having to trim it down so much that by the time it was ready to wrap around the edge of the notebook it was too short. 

I solved the problem by adding the lace flaps. It ... works. Sort of.



I trimmed down the ground fabric of the needlework to a half inch beyond the stitching. Then I surged the edge of the linen. 

I rummaged through my stash to find something decorative to cover the edge of the linen. I auditioned lace, trims, bias tape, and lots of different ribbons. The ribbon that worked best by color was a one inch mauve grosgrain ribbon. But it was far too wide. 

So I folded the ribbon in half, steamed it really well, and sewed it into place around the edge of the linen. The corners were a problem. I tried mitering the corners, but the ribbon was too thick. I settled for overlaping the ribbon. In the end, the corners look OK.

Next I used a fusible web to "glue" the stitchery to the book cover using the heat of an iron to activate the web. I vacillated with that decision. Usually, once so much energy and time is put into a piece of needlework, I don't want to use glue or tape on the back. Over time, the adhesive can bleed through and ruin the piece. 

So I had to remind myself, "THIS IS A BOOK COVER. THE NEEDLEWORK IS FROM 2001. YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO USE IT AND ENJOY IT FOR A WHILE."

Once the needlework was adhered to the fabric, I sewed down the outer edge of the ribbon to assure that the stitchery stayed in place. 



The notebook I'm using is also a Whittle a Little object. I bought it for about 10 cents at a thrift store and thought this would be a good way to use it up. It's not quite thick enough for the cover. But when I tried a 5-subject notebook, that was too thick for the cover. So I settled on using the thrifted notebook.

---

The entire construction of this book cover was frustrating. But I suppose that's fitting for a piece of stitching that was frustrating to complete. 

I'm not entirely satisfied with the outcome. It feels wonky. I just keep reminding myself that this stitchery has been hidden for nearly two decades. It finally gets to see the light of day. It's not fine art. It's a book cover. 



Not every item I make needs to come to an ideal end. It can be a pretty, serviceable object instead.

No comments: