Friday, November 1, 2019

October Goal Update: My 19+ Completed Goals



I wrote on October 5th that I'd completed all of my 19 in 2019 goals. One friend asked for a recap. Today I'm obliging. I admit that I worked diligently for all of them. Some required a lot of perseverance, but others seem like they were accomplished almost like a fluke.

One thing that I find interesting is that I wrote these goals last December -- long before we thought we'd actually move to Oregon. In fact, we were on the "five year plan" for moving, waiting until Dale was ready to retire. Life had other ideas. I mention this because the "fixing up the house and purging" goals were already on the list -- before the move made them more urgent. Anyway ...

Here's what I managed to do:


1. Learned to use my pompom maker. 

Then I made a heart wreath out of several sizes and colors of  pompoms.




2. Watched the DVD about Lake Missoula. 

Fascinating. Geology has always been my favorite science.




3. Wrote at least 25 #throwbackthursday blog posts about craft and needlework projects I completed between 1990 and 2007.

These are the years I documented my completed projects, but before I had my blog. I've written 32 of those posts so far this year.




4. Documented at least 10 of my Ladies of the Evening.

I've written detailed descriptions of 14 of my beaded ladies so far this year. I have another five Ladies that I've photographed and am currently writing up the details about them.



5. Did the finishing work on In the Garden.

I turned this stitchery into a journal cover.




6. Used up my tea stash.

All the oddball teas were brewed and enjoyed. Chai and Cranberry Apple Zinger are still my favorites.




7. Reached a weight goal by my February doctor's appointment.

Met ... and (mostly) maintained.




8. Determined my Enneagram.

I took the test, then did some extra reading about it and watched a number of videos on YouTube to understand more about this personality sorter.




9. Made Happy Easter banner with prairie point edging.

This one makes me particularly happy because the idea I had in my head for decades finally came into being.




10. Painted the dog kennel, added privacy webbing, and fixed the roof.

Another goal I'm so proud to have completed. The finished result was even better than I'd anticipated. (This photo was taken before the roof was fixed).




11. Read The Creative License by Danny Gregory.

I read the book and did a bit of drawing. I intend to improve my drawing skills in the future. 




12. Found a new home for my Mom’s china cabinet.

This went to one of my nephews. I'm so glad it's found a place to be loved and used again.




13. Painted the baseboards in living room / dining room.

Here's another goal over a decade in the making. Once we painted the baseboards, the living room and dining room looked so crisp and clean.




14. Took the treadle sewing machine to my sister. It used to belong our dad.

I didn't need it anymore, and she is my seamstress sister who really appreciated it.




15. Watched 50 movies from my Amazon Prime, Netflix DVD, and Netflix streaming queues.

I completed this goal, and went far beyond by also watching a fair number of movies I'd recorded on Tivo. Coco was one of my favorites:




16. Did the finishing work on my stitch sampler.

I made it into my Many Small Dreams journal cover. In it I'll write about dreams I want to fulfill in Chapter 3 of my life.




17. Took my little guitar to Kiwanis Park and played it by the river.

I had my guitar re-strung, then took it to the park that very day. Jeanne and I had a lovely time sitting by the river as my fingers got reacquainted with the fret board, the picking, and the strumming.




18. Dealt with the treadmill: fixed it or sold it or gave it away.

We found a woman to give it to. She is doing some rehab on her leg and really appreciated having a nice treadmill to help her with her healing.




19. Painted the house.

Done. It looks so nicely freshened up now. My favorite part is that we finally had the cinder blocks in the lower porch painted. It looks much more finished now and adds value to our back yard.




EXTRAS!!

20. Sorted old letters.

I love re-reading letters sent to me from long ago. While sorting my old letters, I was most touched to find some in my Mom's and my Dad's handwriting. I also got to peruse some from old flames and folks long gone from my life. I was able to send quite a few into the netherworld, for the people who wrote them no longer bring joy to my life.




21. Fixed and painted the front door.

We were able to do this when the house got painted.




22. Purged and organized the storage shelves in the exercise room.

This was an extended process. I feel such a weight lifted for having released so many items.




23. Move to Eugene, Oregon.

I admit that this is still in process. But we do get to live at our new place part time as we get our Idaho home ready to sell. Buying our new place went much faster than we had anticipated. We put an offer on the house on a whim ... and they sold it to us!




Goals that got some traction, but are not complete:

24. Convert audio cassettes into digital format and/or get rid of them
25. Use up one greeting card I already own for one greeting card I make
26. Dig grass out of the flower beds in the back yard
27. Learn to use my metal punch
28. Continue with the Everyday Matters photo challenge


With all these goals accomplished by October, I feel free of my self-made obligations. Now I can spend the rest of the year settling into our new home and enjoying the holidays.




























No comments: