Friday, February 8, 2019

In the Garden Redux

Back in May of last year, I completed the stitching on In the Garden, a "Mommy and Me" kit that I started with my daughter Jodie when she was an 11 year old girl. We started it July 27, 2004. I finished the stitching on mine on May 12, 2018.


I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with this simple and sweet design. I did want to use it as one of my 19 in 2019 goals -- to do the finishing work on at least six of my stitched-but-not-yet-ready-for-display needlework pieces. This is the first. I decided to turn it into a cover for my next gratitude journal, similar to the journal cover I made for my sister.


My new blank gratitude journal is approximately 9 inches by 6 inches. I used a piece of plain red muslin to create a book cover with the finished dimensions of 9 inches by 12 inches. I first hemmed all four edges of the fabric, making it about 9 inches by 16 inches. Then I turned the back side in 2 inches and stitched it down close to the edges to form a flap/pocket into which I'd slip the journal cover.


I left the back of the cover blank.


Before making the flap/pocket on the front of the cover, I used a fusible web to adhere the hemmed stitchery to the front cover. After it was in place, I reinforced the adhesive by sewing around all four sides of the stitching. Then I finished the front flap/pocket and slipped the journal inside.


I do so like giving my self gold stars for completing my goals. 🌟🌟🌟

No comments: