Friday, July 28, 2023

Back At It

Sometimes a little deal is a big deal. I want to remember this feeling.

Last week I finally completed setting up my sewing machines. They have a home in the alcove at the top of the stairs, down the hall from my Studio. The old Singer from high school days, the Burnette surger from the '90s, and my "new" Brother that I received several years ago and still haven't learned to use.

Set up. Cleaned out. Plugged in. Power cords tidied. Small "hoards" cleared off that table, the items having found new permanent homes. A dedicated space to sew again.


I dipped my toe in with a little mending to see if the machine tension was correct. Score! Then I moved on to hemming some jeans that have been waiting for that fix for a year-and-a-half. Just about broke a needle along the way, but got the job done. Denim. Those thick seams. Grrr. Done is better than good.


Then I altered this bright tablecloth so that it can work on our round patio table. It needed to fit around the umbrella hole. Nailed it.

Another addition to the Summer of P.


Any one of these things is just a little deal. But with each step, I felt my mood lift. I entered into the world of needlecraft when my mom taught me to sew. With the new set-up, I'm returning to my roots. 

After two years of wondering what happened to my creativity, it's a big deal to watch it return. For me, anyway.

Home again, home again, jiggety jig.

No comments: