Thursday, July 6, 2023

Thrift Haul

My friend Karen and I spent a couple hours together at a thrift store yesterday. I had two things in mind that I was keeping my eyes open for, but those were not to be found. I did, however, score some nice objects -- nothing that I NEEDED, but some nice finds none-the-less. Check out this haul!


When I go thrifting, I can't resist all the pretty glassware. Most of the time I don't allow myself to purchase any because I have plenty. But this vase is special. This detailed tulip relief pattern is on both the front and back of this octagonal vase. The overall size is approx 8.5" wide x 5" tall x 4.5" deep. It's a gorgeous shape that should work well on our rectangular coffee table. The sticker on the bottom says that it's 24% lead crystal from the Czech Republic. And yes, it does ring when I plink it with my finger. Gorgeous. It was something like $5 or $7.50. Incredible.


Next, I found a "lady of the evening." It's been a while since I've increased the inventory of my beaded handbags. This one is in decent shape on the outside, but quite stained (with crayons ... and rust) on the inside. It's also missing it's chain handle. However, it's fully beaded on both the front and the back with rows of vertical bugle beads alternating with spirals of seed beads. On the bottom, strings of seed beads are woven in a delicate pattern. This handbag was made in Hong Kong and priced at $8.99, but I got an additional 30% percent off.


Then I found some fabric. The blue-with-white-stars appears to be about a fat quarter of cotton quilting fabric. It has nice body. The purple fabrics were bundled together in a plastic bag. When I unpacked them, I learned they are taffeta. I was assuming they were a cotton/poly blend. Now I'll have to be creative in how I use them. I love the purple combination of solids and prints.  (Ooo! Summer of "P" purple fabrics!)


Then some hearts found me! The stamp is a good size, about 3.5" across at the widest part. I'm pretty sure I have an identical stamp that is stained red. This one has never been used and was about 35 cents.

Then I found three rolls of ribbon. The "It's a Girl" ribbon is 3/8" wide. The spool is partially used. The Other two rolls are unopened. They're both 5/8" wide and 3 yards. If new, they'd be $2 a pop. I purchased them for about 35 cents each.


Then I found a jackpot of heart-shaped buttons! All of these were squished into a 2" x 2" baggie. There are also 4 thimbles. The two little ones look like they could have been pieces from a Monopoly game. The large thimbles each have a unique design. Seems like I've accidentally gathered quite a collections of old thimbles.


The last thing I picked up was an unopened package of college-ruled notebook paper for 45 cents. Always useful.


My entire haul cost less than $30. On ebay, that same vase is listed at $60!

Gosh, it had been years since I got to rummage around a thrift store like that. Karen got a great haul, too, including her favorite finds - books! Now that I have another thrifting buddy, we can do more exploring together in Eugene's many thrift shops. Whoo-hoo!

No comments: