Sunday, February 3, 2008

Day 538: Ooo-La-La!

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Embroidery: Thread Stripper

Bet you didn't know that we embroiderers have a raunchy, earthy side to our natures, did you?

But YES! YES! OH, YES!

We strip often!

Well, we strip thread often, anyway.
:)

What is stripping thread? Well, cotton embroidery floss most often comes as 6-strands of thread twisted together. For most of my embroidery, I only need to use two of the six strands. So I separate the strands one at a time, then put two of the strands back together, and strip them.

My stripper is a 35mm film canister with a bit of a damp sponge in it. I simply run the threads between the sponge and my thumb. This straightens the threads out and lines them up side-by-side so that when threaded through a needle, the resulting stitches lie flat and give good coverage of the ground cloth.

OK, everyone! Hum along with me ...
Tum tum tum
Tum tum tum
Tum tum tum
Ta dum dum dum ...

No comments: