Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tribute

Nine years ago today, my dad died.

So I thought I'd share a little something I made for him when I was in college.

I got a book from the library to get some ideas. Then I made up this poem and embroidered this sampler with the floss I had on hand on a piece of fabric I had on hand. I was a college student, so had no money and only some time to give.

My dad hung this sampler in his office at home. When Mom and Dad moved, it would always land in his office, hung with pride. That made me feel really good because, face it, this sampler is not exactly a thing of beauty. The stitches are uneven and the colors are ugly. He saw that the beauty of the sampler lay in the energy that went into creating it.

When Dad died, the sampler came back to me. It now hangs in the hallway that leads to my studio, along with Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary sampler and a photograph of them.

While decluttering my studio some more today, I found the original pattern that I designed for this sampler.

.

I miss you, Dad.

You were hard to grow up with, but I sure did come to love you after Mom died in your last year of life. You came to rely on me and see me for the woman I've grown into. I'll never forget the afternoon I dropped you off at your home after your doctor's visit and you looked at me with such profound love.

Thanks for trusting me and keeping watch over me.

~ Margaret

No comments: