Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Times of Your Life


I spent the majority of the day working on a very engaging exercise.

I wrote out a time line of my life from graduation from high school to the present day.

"Why?" you ask?

I've re-met a gal I knew slightly in high school. It turns out that we have some things in common. We both are raising three girls, we each have one with nearly identical names. We both love counted cross-stitch. We enjoy each other's sense of fun.

Recently, we've started talking about a few subjects on a deeper level. But because we haven't been in touch for nearly 35 years and because when we were in school together, we were friendly but not friends, there's a lot of 'splaining to do.

So, I offered to write up a simple time line to shine some light on some of the peaks and valleys of my personal story. And because the topic of conversation is turning to relationship issues, I added to that time line the men who have made an impact on my thoughts and actions over the years.

Yyyyeah.

Well, that's where the above quotation rings so true. I know that I am not alone in having made relationship faux pas. We all have. It's just, you know, mine are so personal! Am I sure I want to air all these errors?

I think so. I think I'll take that risk with this gal. For my stories are what made me the person I am today. It's these significant relationships that have helped me form my conscience and my life outlook. It's this journey and these mistakes that have taught me how to relate to others now, given me the life lessons that light my path into the future.

There is nothing perfect. Nothing ideal.

There is only life.

If I dare to share the stories of my life, perhaps this gal can learn from me. If she can share her stories with me, my life will be informed.

Best, I may gain a deeper friendship.

There is only life.

No comments: