Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Peace Crane

While traveling down rabbit holes on YouTube this week, I happened on this video about how to fold an origami crane. I'd made many of these as a kid, but hadn't folded one in years. So I followed the instructions and made this:



Below is the video tutorial I used. It's part of the Peace Crane Project. The purpose of the project is to:
invite every student on the planet to fold an origami crane, write a message of peace on its wings, then exchange it with another student somewhere in the world. The Project builds friendships, strengthens hand-eye coordination and writing skills, teaches geography, exposes students to new languages and cultures, and empowers youth  to make a difference in their community, country, and world.
I appreciate such lofty goals. When I was a child, I loved having pen pals. That's how I came to enjoy writing letters. Of all the writing I do, the form of a letter is probably my favorite. So it's great that this program encourages youngsters to "meet" others from all over the world in such a tangible way.



I landed on The Peace Crane Project information after watching an excellent video by The Elders. It was the Finding Humanity webinar, originally aired on July 17, 2020. The topic concerned what it means to ‘build back better’ in a post COVID-19 world. If you have an hour, it's worth your time.



Don't know about The Elders?
In July 2007 Nelson Mandela founded The Elders and we began working for peace, justice and human rights for all.
The  Elders are a group of international statesmen (and women), former presidents and prime ministers, world religious leaders, and peace activists who work in cooperation to advise, inform and teach the possible ways for humanity to work together. There is much wisdom and experience in the group. My respect for them is high.

No comments: