Sunday, October 25, 2020

Finish! Pumpkins and the Blackbird

Today I did the finishing work on my recent stitchery. I don't know what this kind of finish is officially called. Maybe double-mounted? I'm not sure.

It starts by mounting the pressed stitchery on a backboard. Some use matboard. I chose foam core. Nothing fancy. I cut the stitched fabric about an inch larger than the stitches, centered it on the foam core, then taped it to the back. This little piece isn't intended to be an heirloom, so I'm not too concerned about using adhesives.



Next I cut another piece of foam core about two inches taller and wider than the mounted stitchery. I covered the foam core with a thin layer of batting. I centered foam core on the check fabric, wrapped the fabric around the foam core, and taped it in place.

I had a little trouble getting the corners to look nice, no matter how often I fussed with them, taped them, or glued then. I finally got out a needle and thread, smoothed the fabric, and sewed it in place. I simply have better results with a needle in my hand.

I used hot glue to adhere the stitchery to the check back piece. This photo details how thick the two pieces are together.



The final step was to make the back look pretty. I cut a scrap of orange felt into a rectangle just big enough to cover the tape that holds the check fabric to the foam core. I glued it in place with hot glue. Then I printed the label, cut it with some edge scissors, and adhered it in place with double-sided tape.

Tidy!



For now, I've got the piece displayed on an easel amidst my living room pumpkin patch.


This is a project that was enjoyable from start to finish -- even with a few hiccups along the way. I don't often create pieces that I haven't planned thoroughly and thought about for weeks. So being spontaneous with this sign and trying out a different finishing technique became an unexpected joy.

I plan to be spontaneous again.  😊

No comments: