Saturday, October 24, 2020

Shine On

 Last week I spent many enjoyable hours designing, stitching and finishing this naughty embroidered hoop for a friend's birthday. I used one of her most endearing phrases.

I learned that the piece arrived yesterday, so I can share it on my blog today.


I found the script online to use as the anchor of the piece. The rest of it was designed using Microsoft Word's Wordart feature. I traced the design onto the fabric by sandwiching the design between the fabric and a lightboard. I used an air-erase pen for the temporary markings.

I backed the fabric with some tear-away stabilizer so that the fabric had some body for the embroidery. The main part of the embroidery is stitched with DMC variegated floss. I  used a combination of stem stitch and chain stitch for the words, dotted with colonial knots at the end of each flourish.


To finish the piece, I gave it a good pressing on the backside. Putting a thick towel underneath the stitching while pressing it with steam allowed the embroidery to rise up off the fabric. I trimmed the fabric into a circle, placed it back in the hoop, and made it drum-tight. Then I wrapped the extra fabric to the back of the hoop, and held it in place using a running stitch that was synched tightly. 

I then covered the back with a matching felt circle. I stitched it to the fabric around the edge.


The final step was to stitch on a label.


I love gifting handcrafted pieces to this friend because she's always so appreciative. Plus, I adore her laugh and try to elicit one from her any chance I get.


No comments: