Saturday, October 10, 2020

Upcycled Pillows

I did a bit of upcycling this week. I took four of Dale's old sweaters (that are now far too big for him), and turned them into some cozy couch pillows.


I cut the sweaters into 19" x 19" squares, then serged three of the seams shut. Next I inserted the 18" pillow forms (bought from Amazon) and closed the last side seam with an invisible ladder stitch. Finally, I reinforced the seams by topstitching all the way around the pillow with a zigzag stitch 1/2" from the pillow edge. That created the small flange.


I like that these pillows are not simply for decoration. They'll be great for getting some real use, napping on the couch or propping up a book as we while away the winter hours in front of the fireplace.

Happily, this project completes four more steps towards one of my alternate 20 Goals in 2020. That is to finish up 20 of my partially done or kitted projects. I've finished up nine of those projects so far this year. That's encouraging!

Next up, I plan to use the arms of the black sweater to craft a couple more decorative gourds for my Autumn pumpkin patch. 

No comments: