Friday, February 25, 2022

Engineers at Work

Papa and Mimi had the distinct pleasure of having a video chat with our granddaughters and their mommy today. First we shared photos of when the girls were newborns. They love to see my pictures.

Then they told me how they spent some time yesterday -- learning to be engineers with NASA!

Sharing a hug with Mommy

They watched a livestream on the NASA Facebook page called Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. Melody truly enjoyed it. So much so, that when she grows up, she wants to be a "Gymnastics Engineer." 

Besides learning things about the jobs it takes to be a rocket scientist, the girls learned how to make paper helicopters. They showed me the ones they made, and how they fly them from the top of the stairs down to the basement. 

Well! That looks like fun. In all the years I had raising three daughters, I never learned to make a paper helicopter. So our 4-year-old granddaughter taught me how. We folded and cut paper. Then drew a dot. Then drew lines. Then cut and folded some more, just like she learned from the three female NASA engineers. 

Papa and I tried it out -- and it worked! 


I got into the spirit of experimenting with engineering. I found that there was a weak joint where the blades meet the base of the helicopter. So I thought I'd try strengthening it with a long toothpick.


I slid the toothpick into the folded base. I also added a strip of tape at that fold, and another at the bottom. Now mine flies much better.


Time to drop it from the top of the stairs a few dozen times, don't you think?

And perhaps add some googly eyes!

No comments: