Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Ding-Dong Dash

Dale and I made a May Day surprise! Flower posies for some special people in our lives.

In the 1800s and early 1900s, people would mark the first of May by hanging baskets of flowers or sweets on neighbors' doorknobs, knocking on the door, and dashing away before they can be discovered. Dale and I decided to revive that tradition - in a slightly newfangled way.

Unfortunately, we didn't think of doing this until Monday morning. So after we got all our weekly tasks done, we turned to this flash craft. Dale made the pattern for the paper holder and helped me figure out the fastest way to complete the project.

After brainstorming several ideas, I decided to make the posy cones from two layers of scrapbook paper with Spring designs. The "flowers" are made using various stickers and floral pieces I had on hand. The flower and heart stickers are double-sided, stuck to wooden skewer "stems" that were cut in varied lengths. 

Fabric "silk" leaves were added to a couple of the stems to add volume to the top of the cone. The skewers are poked into two very small styrofoam balls down in the point of the cone. I punched a couple holes in the top of the cone and threaded a ribbon through them for a hanging loop.


When I was a kid, we called it "Knock and Run." Jodie calls it "Ding-Dong Dash." Dale and I first delivered posies to the front door of each of our next-door neighbors.


Then we set off for Springfield to deliver posies to each of our grown kids. I wasn't fast enough to dash back to the car before Jodie caught me, though. I do believe I totally surprised Jeanne.


Dale and I try to remember to celebrate minor holidays as well as the big ones. It's fun to have frequent, small celebrations. May Day is certainly right in that category. 

Hmmm. What's the next one? Maybe Flag Day on June 14th. I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with an idea to create something before that date so that I'm not so rushed.

No comments: