Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Melody's Birthday Card

We spent last weekend in Idaho celebrating our granddaughter Melody's 6th birthday. To go along with the bracelets and other gifts, Dale and I put this card together. I did the design and construction. Dale added the sentiment inside.


This was another new-to-me design concept. The bottom of the front of the card is cut into the shape of the mouth. I gave her three layers of eyes, the last being large googly eyes. Tongue and teeth are made of paper. The bow is real ribbon.

The tricky part for me was figuring out how to make the texture of the "skin" work. I ended up putting the blue paper through the embosser twice - once on the front, once on the back. But I had to reverse the embossing plate so that all the skin bumps poked out in the correct direction once the card was folded.


Having the front of the card short also meant a smaller spot for the sentiment inside. 

For the envelope, I added some coordinating paper for pizzazz under the flap.


Here's Dale's sentiment. 

(Whoops on the strange lighting! The color is all off).


And, of course, I signed the back. I did the cursive first, then remembered that she doesn't read cursive yet, so printed my name, too.


She got a kick out of it. After opening all the gifts she exclaimed, "This is the BEST day EVER!"

No comments: