Saturday, May 27, 2023

Graduation Day

It's likely not what you think.


For the three years of the pandemic, I stayed very close to home. (Luckily, I didn't get ill, so it was worth it!) But I did have very high anxiety and developed a bit of a case of agoraphobia. I could get out of the house with Dale to visit parks and go grocery shopping and geocaching and eventually out to restaurants. But it was really hard for me to venture out on my own. Walks? Yes. Dollar Tree? Yes. Visit Jodie? Yes.

But until very recently, I couldn't get myself to go alone to crowded places ... like movie theaters. 

In fact, I think it's been eight years since I've been out to a movie!


Ever since turning 65 and getting part of my health insurance through AARP, Dale and I have been members. I've been quite drawn to one particular benefit: Movies for Grown-ups. I've seen several excellent documentaries through AARP's website. Recently, however, they offered a free screening of a movie at a theater.

You see where this is going.

I went by myself. Drove by myself. Figured out the theater entrance by myself. Learned that they over-booked and I might not get in. If I didn't? I was OK with that because I'd already done the hard part. Lucky for me, there were some no-shows and I got a seat after all.

Such a simple thing pre-pandemic. Now a huge personal accomplishment. I graduated into venturing back out into the world alone.

So Dale celebrated with me. He got me this card, a box of my favorite chocolates, and a banana.


Sometimes it's the little things that are the big things. 

No comments: