Saturday, May 25, 2024

Melody's Stationery Kit

The last time I was with my granddaughter Melody, she was able to read whole books to me. She can even read cursive!

She graduates from first grade soon.

Since she lives so far away and we don't get to see her family very often, I'm hoping to build a one-on-one relationship with her in a new way. Or ... an old way, really.

I was about Melody's age when I started having pen pals. So now that she can read and write, I'm hoping Melody will be pen pals with me! To that end, I made her a personalized Stationery Kit.


We're starting small. The kit has:

  • six blank card with envelopes
  • two sharp pencils with tip erasers (when I was a kid, I LOVED tip erasers)
  • a standard pink eraser
  • six Sesame Street character Forever postage stamps
  • a sample of how to address an envelope
  • an envelope that's pre-addressed
  • a sample of how to write a letter ... where to put the date, a salutation, the body, the sign-off, a signature
  • a short letter I wrote to her with all those elements
  • and a full sheet of personalized return address labels
Please note the Kittycorn!



I loved sending letters to my grandma and receiving them in return. I lived in southern California; Grandma lived in Pennsylvania. We got to see each other even less often than Melody and I spend time together. Grandma's letters always began:
"Just a few lines to let you know that we are well and hoping to hear the same from you."

I hope Melody and I can grow some fond memories through the written word together, too. 

No comments: