Thursday, May 16, 2024

Petit Purses: Part 1

Jodie and I crocheted some purses for little girls that will be distributed through Bags of Love. Kids in crisis don't only need safe shelter and the basics of blankets and toiletries, but they also can use comfort items. That might be a teddy bear. Or it might be a little purse to call their own and hold their treasures.

I found this pattern through Pinterest. We made five altogether, each one taking approximately 4 to 5 hours to create. I'll share the first two here and the other three later this week. 

This pattern uses the "granny stitch." It's the same kind of crochet stitch used in classic granny square afghans. We used a single strand of 4-ply yarn. The bag is worked in the round.

This pink lady was my first attempt. I followed the pattern directions that called for crocheting two narrow handles.


So that none of the treasures would fall out of the holes created by the granny clusters, I decided to line the purses with coordinating fabric. The cherries are cheery!


For the decoration, I crocheted a white flower, then attached it to the purse with a pink flower-shaped button. The buttons I used on this project were some I found at a thrift store several months ago.


For my second attempt, I followed the pattern for the body of the purse, but put my own twist on the handle by crocheting a single, wider handle.


I lined this purse with a fabric that had characters from the movie Frozen


For decoration, another white crocheted flower with a purple flower-shaped button.


Jodie and I are quite pleased with the result. We got a bit more adventurous for the next purses, using variegated and specialty yarns.


No comments: