Saturday, February 16, 2008

Day 551: Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Buttoned Up.

In a recent post, I mentioned that I used a button from my grandmother's button collection on a Valentine craft. Here's part of that stash.

My maternal grandmother and great-grandmother were seamstresses. They made dresses for prominent women in town as a way to earn a living in the early part of the last century.

My mother learned to sew from her mother. When Grandma died (long before I was born), my mom inherited my grandmother's sewing cabinet. That cabinet was later given to me, complete with the drawer full of buttons.

Grandma's buttons and mom's buttons and my buttons are all mixed up together now. I've sorted them by color and type, and put them in these sweet jelly jars. They're on display and in easy reach now in my studio.

No comments: