Thursday, February 7, 2008

Work as Prayer


Isn't this more or less the core belief of Quakers? One's work is prayer. Prayer is the work of one's hands.

As a needleworker, many of the things I stitch are for gifts or for charity. There's a saying, "Every stitch a prayer." That sentiment always sat well with me.

As much as I love words, I do have trouble praying with them lately. My prayer tends to take the form of action these days. Perhaps that's a good thing, to have action as I'm still young and vibrant.

As a young man, my father-in law was a star athlete. In his working years, he was a logger. Both physically demanding activities. By the time he was my age, my father-in-law became paralyzed from a brain tumor. His actions had to become very small. I don't know, but perhaps, then his prayers became words.

So now, while I am healthy, I'll allow myself to be more silent. I'll allow myself to let my prayer be the work of my hands.

No comments: