Friday, October 10, 2008

The Correct Spirit


I do try to be a giver. But I have a problem.

I look for something in return. At the very least, a "Thank You."

So this is a good reminder. The very act of giving is the gift. The object given may not be all that important. What is important is the spirit in which the gift is given.

Now ... I still say that I'll be careful about who I give to a second time. Especially when it comes to gifts of the needle. Often, I put a lot of heart and soul into the items I stitch and give as gifts. If I learn that the gift has not been well-received, I won't bother giving a stitched gift again.

The other thing to put in the balance is that we've been warned against tossing "pearls before swine." So don't just throw away the good stuff. Give it to someone that needs it or will appreciate it.

Still ... it's good to keep at the forefront of my mind these words of St. Ignatius. Give without counting the cost.

No comments: