Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Change Your Perception


This was a tough day. I started by getting up late, rushing to get my daughter to school on time, and fighting with her the entire 10 min trip.

It took me an hour and a half to calm down from that and send her an apology by text message.

By the time I got to Quilters, an hour late, I was too pooped to pop. I dropped off something one of the gals had requested (a bright spot). Then I was reminded that I haven't yet sent photos to another gal and ended up feeling crappy about not following through on that task. I really didn't need that disappointment tossed my direction. I just went home.

I calmed myself by eating a bowl of popcorn and listening to an audio book. I had a bite of (nutritious) lunch, then it was off to get a mammogram.

Lovely.

After that appointment, I managed to buy a gift for a friend (only a week late). Then went to look for a light jacket (My current jacket is too BIG this year! Hooray!) But ... no such luck.

When I got home, my daughter and I talked. She showed me that she'd accomplished something I'd been asking her to do. I praised her. We're back on good terms.

I went to my studio to pick up my mp3 player, and the darn thing took FOREVER to update. In the mean time, my computer kept freezing. While waiting for things to sort themselves out, my mind started spinning and stewing about old relationships that have gone sour. My head was going in a bad place.

Finally getting my mp3 player to work properly, I plugged it into my ears and WENT FOR A 2 MILE WALK! All the while, I listened to my mentor talk to me in my ear, help me redirect my brain waves.

Now, back at home, I've had an excellent change of attitude. My body is thanking me for giving it some exercise. My brain is thanking me for filling it with good thoughts. I'm ready to go upstairs and make some dinner.

The point of all this?

For the majority of the day, I let my mind wallow in the trash heap
  • the things that didn't go my way
  • the frustration that is a necessary part of raising a teen to help her become an adult
  • the ickiness of having to bare my breasts to a stranger and a machine that squishes the hell out of them (they deserve better!)
  • the letdown of not being able to find a coat that fits well
  • the memories of people that have shut me out of their lives

When I recognized the wasteland that I was allowing my brain to traverse (again ... oh, again), I did something about it.
  • I listened to uplifting words.
  • I got out in the crisp autumn breeze.
  • I challenged myself to do the 2-mile walk that starts with a steep hill.
  • I stopped at the one mile mark long enough to appreciate the sunset.
In other words, I sought — and found — the day's treasures.

No comments: