Thursday, October 2, 2008

Begging the Question


This was one of the early lessons I learned while going through a divorce 20+ years ago. I had to take care of myself and two babies. I thought I'd failed and didn't believe I deserved asking for any kind of help for myself. My choice. My bad decision. My inability to make the marriage work.

But it was me ... and two babies. Those little girls were going to be suffering enough, with the loss of one parent and their home. For their sake, I learned to ask for help. As much as I needed. I put my pride in my pocket, and begged for assistance. By asking, I received. Gratefully.

It took a while, but I eventually did learn that asking for help is a sign of strength for it allowed people who wanted to help know how to help. It moved me from total dependence to relative independence much more swiftly than if I had attempted to go it alone. I was able to give my girls what they needed to first survive, then thrive.

No comments: