Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Rabbit Rehab

Way back when I was about 5 years old, I was given this little stuffed bunny. My oldest brother, Paul, was away from home at St. Catherine's Military School while he was in junior high. I'm not sure why it was recommended that he go there, but it was a boarding school in a nearby town.

My little child brain remembers going there on one special occasion to watch him and his classmates march and parade in the school yard. Afterward, I believe there was some kind of craft bazaar run by the nuns. Or maybe the two events weren't connected. But that Christmas, he gave one of these little nun-made bunnies to each of his four sisters, each bunny a different color.


It's hard to see now, but my bunny is white with pink ears, paws, and tail. Or ... was. She lives in my box of Easter decorations now, but for years and years she sat on a shelf with my other special childhood toys in a place of honor ... but gathering dust.


When I took her out in March, she was looking really pathetic. She is about 55 years old, so I'll cut her some slack. Just look at those eyes! Who can resist them?! I decided to see if I could spruce her up. I had to take her head off and scoop out her stuffing before I washed her. She was stuffed with paper pulp. I cleared it out of her body and head, but it had to stay in her paws and tail. I washed her gently, and boy! Was she dirty!


She's made of wool yarn. After I washed her, some of the crochet detail was lost as the water and mild soap changed the texture. Not all the dirt came out, but she does look a lot brighter. I re-stuffed her with polyester fiberfill, mended her holes, reinforced her ears, and sewed her head back on. I couldn't find yarn to match, so I had to make do with some light pink.


When she was reassembled, I have her a bright red ribbon to match her button eyes and felt tongue. My guess is that she'll last another 55 years, even if I don't. And she'll look good doing it!

No comments: