Thursday, May 17, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1998 (Part 4 of 4)

As I look back on these projects I completed 20 years ago, I barely even remember making some of them -- especially those that I gave away as gifts. Others I still have and use at least once a year. Still others, I'd like to make again and keep for myself.

Forward we go through the Fall and Winter of 1998.


Blackwork Scissors Fob

This was a teaching piece for me. This is another example of blackwork stitched on some white aida. I made two different motifs and adhered them to a set of covered buttons. Then the two buttons are glued together and wrapped with cording and finished off with a tassel made from the same fibers that were used in the design.


Fobs are attached to scissors to help keep them from getting lost in the chair cushions!




Halloween Fingertip Towel

I stitched this Halloween-themed towel for a secret sister. I used a towel that already has a piece of aida woven into the edge. I took bits of three different charts to make this design:


  • The moon, bats and lettering are from Shepherd's Bush
  • The jack-o-lantern is by Sam Hawkins
  • The border was inspired by Donna Kooler


Don't Bug Me!

This is a freebie chart from Lizzie*Kate. I made it into a little door hanger for Halloween. The hanging cording is made from all the colors of floss I used in the chart. This is one of the pieces I kept and display it every October.



Hardanger Motif

Another needlework technique I toyed with is Hardanger, a Scandinavian counted thread technique stitched on linen (or an evenweave). It's traditionally done with a cotton thread the matches the ground cloth. Hardanger emphasizes box shapes with areas of cutwork. This star shape is also a traditional design.

This was the first Hardanger design I ever attempted, so I stuck to a satin stitch pattern that required no cutting. I embellished the snowflake/star with some gold thread. I finished it as a little puff pillow ornament for a friend.



Mitten Ornaments

As the last project of 1998, I made about 25 of these little mitten ornaments. I gave most away, but kept these five for my family.

The mitten itself is made of felt. The hearts are appliqued onto the front using a buttonhole stitch. Buttonhole stitch also holds the front to the back of the mitten. Then I invaded my lace stash and used a variety of laces along the top as a cuff. I made little bows of plaid fabric cut with pinking shears for a zig-zag edge. Then I raided my button stash to embellish the bow. Finally,  piece of ribbon was attached inside the top cuff, used to hang the ornaments on the tree.

This is one of my favorite handcrafted ornaments. I liked the idea so much that I used it again a few years later, with a candy cane motif instead of the heart. We hang these little mittens on our Christmas tree each year.



Next week: 1999


No comments: