Thursday, May 31, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1999 (Part 2 of 3)

1999 continued to be a tough year for me. Nearly all the projects I stitched were tiny, simple pieces. Most had something to do with my daughters.


Apples for the Teacher

This little bookmark was stitched for Jodie's kindergarten teacher as a gift during Teacher Appreciation Week:
McIntosh Apple, Rome Apple, York Apple, Pineapple.



Trumpet Beaded Christmas Ornament

This little ornament is a beaded trumpet stitched on perforated paper. I stitched with while watching a Memorial Weekend Law and Order Marathon. It came from a Mill Hill kit.



Ladybugs

The ladybug stitchery was a joint effort between me and my daughter Julie, who was 12 years old at the time. Julie thought she wanted to learn to cross-stitch, so I gave her a book of simple designs, and she picked these kissing ladybugs. I sat with her to teach her the basics. After stitching a few rows, Julie decided that cross-stitch wasn't her bag. I don't think she's stitched since then. She caught the sewing and painting bug instead.

So I finished the ladybugs and added both our names on the finished piece. Julie stitched the top of the bug and all the black dots of the ladybug on the left. I completed the piece and framed it in an embroidery hoop trimmed with ribbon.



Princess

I mentioned earlier that Jeanne learned to do cross-stitch, but also decided it wasn't a craft she wanted to continue. But she did enjoy charting some designs. In 1999, Jeanne was 14 years old. I showed her my cross-stitch pattern-making computer program, and she went to town. In May 1999, Jeanne gave me four original cross-stitch patterns as a Mother's Day gift. This princess is the first that I stitched. I like that she even added jewels to the crown.



Jodie's Stocking Christmas Ornament

I was determined to finish the family Christmas ornaments on time in 1999, so stitched this ornament in June! This miniature Christmas stocking measures about 3-1/2" x 4-3/4". It's the first of three from a kit by Titan Needlework. The front of the stocking is stitched on 14 count aida, the back is a white cotton batiste.

Most of the stocking is stitched with cotton floss, but there was also some gold metallic that was really nice to stitch with. Metallics can be so fiddly.

Jodie requested that her name be stitched in red and outlined in gold, so I personalized it to her taste.


No comments: