Thursday, May 10, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1998 (Part 3 of 4)

My walk through 1998 continues from mid-year.


Just Like You

This is the companion piece to My Heart Belongs to Daddy which I completed in 1997. I still have these two pieces hanging in the hall by our office door.





.
Santa Bear

I used this Christmas ornament as a teaching piece. My oldest daughter, Jeanne, wanted to learn how to stitch. So she and I each began this ornament. We stitched our ornaments side-by-side, and she did finish hers. But she didn't catch the cross-stitch bug the way I did. She did, however, design a few cross-stitch pieces, some of which I stitched and will point out later.



Best Friends

On the insistence of my 5-year-old Jodie, I bought and stitched this kit. As a little girl, she thought of herself as piglet and her daddy as Pooh. Dale and Jodie surely did interact the way piglet and pooh do in this piece. I recently passed this piece on to my granddaughter, Melody.



September Birthday Faerie

In 1998, fairies were all the rage in the stitching world. When I found the Birthday Faeries book by Barbara Baatz at a local store, I understood what the fuss was all about. They really are quite pretty. The wings have blending filament in them to make them shimmer. The overskirt has beads to add dimension. I stitched this faerie for my daughter Julie's 12th birthday, and managed to keep it a surprise.



Earth's Book Mark

I stitched this bookmark for an online friend of mine who was an in-person to my brother Paul. She was a great support to him as he went through cancer treatments, and a great support to me by keeping me informed about how he was doing.

This bookmark is designed by Betsy C. Stinner of Earth Threads




Drive the Cats Crazy

This freebie chart by Ruth Sparrow of Twisted Threads is an adaptation of the cartoons by Emerson Quillin. I used some Alpaca wool to stitch the mouse to make its fur nice and fuzzy. I used some rayon thread for the bra to make it shiny and silky -- just like any female mouse would want! Then I used some cotton floss and a #9 crochet hook to make the mouse some nice warm slipper and appliqued them onto the end of her hairy little legs! I sure wish I had better macro photos of this one. It's the details that make this piece pop.



No comments: