Sunday, June 3, 2018

Tarnish No More

I got to play mad scientist today.

I found these two silver forks and this butter knife when I did the great kitchen shelf lining party last month. They were quite tarnished. I'm fairly sure these are all silverplate.


These are the markings on the knife


These are the markings on the fork with the ornate tongs


These are the markings on the fork with the ornate handle


I looked up easy ways to clean them. I boiled some water. Put in two balls of aluminum foil.


Placed the silverware in the boiling water. Added some baking soda. That made for great bubble action.


Let them sit a bit, then pulled them out to cool on a towel. Gave them a buff with a soft cloth. They came out pretty well!



I also cleaned some silver napkin rings and after a bit of buffing, they are quite shiny. Nice trick!


No comments: