Thursday, June 7, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1999 (Part 3 of 3)


Words to Live By Banner

In the middle of June, 1999 I finished a banner for my friends Roberta and Rosemary, a couple nuns I came to love through church. They were moving on to a new venture, so I wanted to give them a special gift.


They'd both done some ministry in Africa over the years. So when I saw these African-inspired designs, I decided to use them. The symbols represent Togetherness, Unity, Harmony, Adaptability, Knowledge and Wisdom. All those are excellent descriptors for these two marvelous women.


The patterns can be found in the January 1998 edition of The Stitchery Magazine.


Prisms Christmas Ornaments

These two ornaments were stitched for an outreach project. Our local EGA decorated a giant Christmas tree for a local nursing home. We were each asked to stitch two ornaments. 


I chose this design from a needlework newsletter. It's called Prisms. They are stitched on aida and backed with craft felt.



Memory Stocking

This little ornament was stitched as my own annual Christmas ornament. The design is from Just Nan and was found in the 1999 Christmas special issue of Just Cross Stitch magazine. 

I love the coloration and the roses. For the cuff, I used a small snippet of lace that had been my mom's. I edged the stocking with gold cord and used gold beads as embellishments. I hang this ornament on my tree each year.



Julie's Stocking

This is the second of three stocking ornaments in the kit from Titan Needlework. Like the first, it's stitched on 14 count aida with a cotton batiste backing. Julie wanted a little "LUV" on her ornament.



Dale's Stocking

This is the final project I stitched in 1999. It's the last of the stocking ornaments from the Titan Needlework kit. I finished it before Thanksgiving that year -- meaning all the family ornaments were completed in time for Christmas! 

(I think I'm still patting myself on the back for that).


No comments: