Friday, June 1, 2018

May Goal Update

I'm approaching the half way point for my 18 in 2018 goals. I admit, this is a test of perseverance. My progress continues, but it feels slow. If I was right on track, I'd have completed 7-1/2 of the goals by now. I have five finished and three in progress. I continue to work on the long-range goals that take weeks or months to complete. Here's what I did in May.

Goal 1: Finish all the charts in 2006 Cross-Stitch Calendar and frame them / get them ready to display.

Finished and framed Winter Warmth. This was the very last chart. Goal complete!



Goal 7: Special Christmas ornaments for my daughters

I finished these! They are so adorable and I really what to share pictures ... but it's a secret until Christmas. 



Goal 11:  New shelf paper in kitchen

Goal complete! The idea of doing this was much worse than the execution. Now all the shelves and drawers are polka-dotty. Bonus, I rearranged some of the food and kitchen tools, got rid of things I didn't need, and cleaned all the organizers. It's a nice fresh start for an old kitchen.



Goal 13:  The Artist’s Way and It’s Never Too Late to Begin Again, both by Julia Cameron

I'm still working through The Artist's Way, but I'm sort of stuck. I'm at Week Nine. In May I read the chapter, took notes, and did two of the exercises. This course takes a lot of energy and time. When I devote myself to it, other needs around the house don't get attention. Then I feel like I'm in catch-up mode, which makes me a little crazy. I need to re-prioritize and find a way to finish this course. I'd like to finish it in June.

Interestingly, here's the opening paragraph of Week Nine's chapter:


Also interestingly, one of Week Nine's exercises is to list your creative goals for the year and be specific about when you will do them. So I took these 18 goals and scheduled them for the rest of the year. That was quite a good exercise because it helped me organize my thoughts and see that finishing these 18 in 2018 is still possible -- even when Life gets in the way of Plans.


Looking Forward to June:

June is to be my month of sewing. I plan to learn to use my new sewing machine, attempt to make another t-shirt from the pattern I drafted, start sewing the quilt squares together for my granddaughter's quilt (this will likely take more than one month), and perhaps begin to learn more basic pattern drafting. And, of course, finish The Artist's Way.

---

This is my overall scoresheet:

1. Finish all the charts in 2006 Cross-Stitch Calendar and frame them / get them ready to display.
    Finished in May

2. Finish or dispose of Newborn King
    Disposed of it in January

3. Finish or dispose of The Finery of Nature
    Decided to finish it. Haven't restarted stitching yet.

4. Stitch and finish/frame Letter Snow
    Got out the pattern and picked the fabric and floss. Haven't started stitching yet.

5. Crochet 5 different pumpkins
    Bought the kit.

6. Make one handcrafted Christmas card per week(ish) - 40 total
    Total bust. I haven't started making these yet. Will likely do them all at one time 
    instead of one per week.

7. Special Christmas ornaments for my daughters
    Finished in May

8. Learn to use my new sewing Machine
    Plan to start this month

9. Finish Melody’s quilt
   I plan to get back to it this month.

10. Make a pattern from my favorite t-shirt and use it to make some shirts (pattern finished
     I have tried a couple times, but hasn't worked out well yet. Will try again this month.

11. New shelf paper in kitchen
     Finished in May

12. Finding Your Own North Star
   Read in April

13. The Artist’s Way and It’s Never Too Late to Begin Again, both by Julia Cameron
      Still working on The Artist's Way. Slightly stuck.

14. Submit to a stock photo site
     Scheduled for July

15. Learn hand lettering
     Scheduled for October

16. Learn basic pattern drafting
     Scheduled for September. May do some in June.

17. Take a color theory course
     Scheduled for August

18. Go on a retreat 
     Completed in April

No comments: