Monday, May 20, 2019

Sunflower Bookmark

One of the things I like best about writing my #throwbackthursday posts is re-visiting so many of the projects I've stitched and given away. Some of them tug at my heartstrings when I see them and make me want to revisit them -- stitch them again.

That's how I felt about my sunflower bookmarks. I've stitched this pattern twice. First from a kit. Then using supplies from my own stash. Seeing them, I wanted to stitch it again. This time for me.

The thing is, I'm an avid fan of ebooks and rarely use paper books anymore. So, no real need for a bookmark collection. But it so happens that I have three paper books in progress at the moment. That gave me an excuse to stitch a third bookmark.



I used a piece of Ribband that was already cut to length and tucked away in my stash. After stitching the bookmark, I finished off the ends with a nun's stitch. I used a strand of the Ribband that I unraveled from the ends. This way, that edge stitch is barely visible. Then I frayed the ends into fringe.

Some of the things about this pattern that cause me to stitch is over again?

  • The cheery colors
  • the happy swaying stem
  • the light green leaves outlined and veined in darker green
  • the checkerboard tablecloth ... a sweet touch that grounds the flower
  • the sunflower seeds made of French knots
    .


The kit was called "Sunflower" #2075 from Designs for the Needle. I don't see a copyright date on it, but it's got to be from the 1990s.

Do you see the price? $1.00 from Dollar General ... for an entire kit!


No comments: